Thursday 5 April 2007

Getting down to write that short script

I tend to get myself madly scribbling down stuff by hand at first. I try and use a cheap cartridge pen from woolies. They write fast and your thoughts aren't slowed down by the slowness of getting the words out.

Then when I've got a few pages down and an idea of where I'm going I hit the computer. As I copy type it up I edit as I go - usually loosing verbiage - cutting down speeches. Try not to as one US director said write 'Talkies' they are supposed to be 'Movies' ie there should be action rather than static globs of people standing around talking (or perhaps you should be writing for the theatre?). Then I just carry on writing the first draft at the computer. When its finished I some times put it away for a few weeks come back to it fresh and then rewrite. Or I take it to someone who has a good eye for scripts and get their feedback and rewrite.

A short film script can go through many drafts and changes working with a producer/script editor. The aim is to get out the best version of the story as possible. This means removing assumptions about how the story will pan out. The aim for a first or second draft is to write something good enough to get someone else on board to get your film made.

My first script I wrote at 6am each morning before going to work - it wasn't discipline but enthusiasm which got me up so early writing.

I used a screenwriting template which I downloaded free from the web. Go and get one for your self. Google screenwriting template shareware. Its essential to use some kind of screenwriting template / screenwriting programme as without it you will have no idea the length of the screenplay you are writing. Knowing the length accurately is important because it affects what kind of budget you will need, whether it is eligible for certain competitions. Also after a while you can scan a script without reading it 'properly' and see if its any good. Seriously pick up a script and if you flick through and see vast chunks of half page dialogue it will not be a goer. I once read 120 short scripts over a long weekend and I can attest to this.

No comments: