Tuesday 26 February 2008

Derek & Margaret

The Guardian has a short film up at their blog about Derek Jarman one of my favourite film-makers. I'm off to London soon to catch the exhibition at the Serpentine. Derek was a filmmaker mostly unfunded who used his limitations to create anyway and the anyway was often amazing, luminous, beautiful, awesome and life changing.

He used new editing techniques from his work doing pop promos for Mariane Faithfull and the Pet Shop Boys - he used the cheapness of Super8 in new and innovative ways in feature films.

The work of Scottish filmmaker Margaret Tait was also constrained by lack of funding and also is extraordinary.

I'm putting them out there as I think its too easy to say 'I can't make films because I don't have money' sometimes the money gets in the way. I hope that their work can inspire people to go along new paths.

Sadly no sound card in computer so unable to watch the Derek J film but one day I'll get that fixed.

No comments: